Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Book Review: Nutrition in Clinical Practice


Sorry for the delay in writing this review. As you may have guessed I tend to be reading 5 or 6 books at one time almost always. I like to switch between authors to keep myself from getting bored. It is also useful to go between them so I can see where they agree and disagree. Enough about me here is my review.

This book (mine is the 2nd edition) was written by David L. Katz MD from Yale. His is probably a name you are familiar with if you follow nutrition. He developed the NuVal system and turns up on television periodically. The intended audience for this book was clinicians to be used when interacting with patients.

The book is divided as follows:

Section One: Clinically relevant nutrient metabolism

1. Carbohydrate metabolism
2. Fat metabolism
3. Protein metabolism
4. Micronutrient metabolism

Section Two: Nutritional management in clinical practice: diet, in sickness and in health

5. Diet weight regulation and obesity
6. Diet diabetes mellitus, and insulin resistance
7. Diet atherosclerosis, and ischemic heart disease
8. Diet and hypertension
9. Diet and hemostatis
10. Diet and cerebrovascular and peripheral vascular disease
11. Diet and immunity
12. Diet and cancer
13. Diet and hematopoiesis: nutritional anemias
14. Diet, Bone metabolism and osteoporosis
15. Diet and respiratory diseases
16. Diet and renal disease
17. Diet and hepatobiliary disease
18. Diet and common gastrointestinal disorders
19. Diet, dyspepsia and peptic ulcer disease
20. Diet and rheumatologic disease
21. Diet and neurologic disorders
22. Diet and dermatoses
23. Diet and wound healing
24. Food allergies and intolerance
25. Eating disorders
26. Malnutrition and cachexia

Section Three: Special topics in clinical nutrition

27. Diet pregnancy and lactation
28. Diet and menstrual cycle
29. Diet and early development: pediatric nutrition
30. Diet and adolescence
31. Diet and senescence
32. Ergogenic effects of food and nutrients: diet and athletic performance
33. Endocrine effects of diet: phytoestrogens
34. Diet, sleep-wake cycles and mood
35. Diet and cognitive function
36. Diet and vision
37. Diet and dentition
38. Hunger, appetite, taste and satiety
39. Health effects of chocolate
40. Health effects of ethanol
41. Health effects of coffee
42. Macronutrient food substitutes
43. Vegetarianism, veganism and macrobiotic diets

Section Four: Diet and health promotion: establishing the theme of prudent nutrition

44. Culture, evolutionary biology and the determinants of dietary preference
45. Dietary recommendations for health promotion and disease prevention

Section Five: Principles of effective dietary counseling

46. Models of behavior modification for diet and activity patterns and weight management
47. Dietary counseling in clinical practice

I need to start this review by telling you that I worked in health care for almost two decades as a hospital controller so I understand more medical terminology than most people. Had it not been for my lengthy exposure to medical terminology the book would have been a tough read to me. It was written by a doctor for doctors and uses that language. I found the book to very well researched. Those you that know me know how much I love my end notes. I always find that I want to read many of the studies that are reference. I suppose that is the sign of a true nutrition geek.  ;-)

The doctor did a great job of distilling a mountain of research into a cohesive book. I have been enjoying the suggested reading list he also includes by chapter. I like that he comes the conclusion at the end of the book that the same basic dietary pattern “is appropriate for the prevention of most disease”. I think the science on that is very clear. He appears to be an omnivore but promotes a diet that “shifts from animal and other saturated fats to unsaturated plant oils”. He also promotes the consumption of beans, lentil and other plant sources of protein. I always appreciate when clinicians are open to the science and don’t assume that patients won’t make the tough changes. Normally I don’t make it a point to get nutrition advice from doctors since that is not their field. However I do make an exception for a few docs that have gone out of their way to actually learn and understand nutrition and Dr. Katz is one of those.

Overall I would say this is a very good book and I can see myself referring to often in the future. I clearly don’t think it was written for the general audience. However if you have a keen interest in nutrition, which I assume you do since you read my blog, I say get a copy of the book and Stedman’s medical dictionary to help you translate some of the medical terminology.  I am quite sure you will learn a few things, I know I did.

If any of the chapter titles bring a quick question to mind let me know. I will see if it is covered in the book.

Unrelated note:

The flax cracker experience is in the dehydrator and I think I am getting closer to the texture of Mary’s crackers. My prior attempts have been too thick so I didn’t share them with you. This time they may be too thin, but that will be good information. I can tell that I am getting closer to the “secret”. Since I love those crackers and wt to know how to make them on my own I am going to keep experimenting until I get them right. ;-)

Today I was cleaning out my pantry and came across a bag of Dixie Diner Club's Not Chicken Strips. Even though the ingredient list only indicates soy flour I have a suspicion this is another product that is actually soy protein isolate. I have asked my nutritionist friend her opinion. As soon as she gets back to me I will let you all know. For now I am not using the Not Chicken Strips and suspect these are also destined for the trash like the TVP was a week or so ago.

Dinner tonight will be another salad and fruit bowl. Dan is working on getting another project off his desk so his late night mean a light dinner at our place later this evening.

Have a great evening and I will talk to you all tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. This will be on my list of books to read. :)

    I am considering a kindle. I wonder if this book would be available on kindle?

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naina,

    I have been looking at the Kindle since it came out because I am such a big reader. I would love to hear what you think if you get one. Please let me know.

    thanks,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. so when are you going back to school and getting your degree in all of this so you can write your own books and cookbooks???? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,

    What a very sweet thing to say! Thank you for making me smile this morning. I really appreciate it.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review of this book. I'll be ordering a number of books to replace the ones ruined in our home disaster, and I think I will be adding this one to the list:) Hope you are having a great week, Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet,

    It does contain a lot of medical terminology but it is so well documented I find it a good resource, even for someone like me with a finance background. ;-)

    I hope all is going well getting things taken care of at your place.

    Ai

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails