Saturday, May 1, 2010

10 minute lunch: Wilted Sicilian Greens on a Baked Potato


Dan was a little fussy this afternoon about lunch. He didn’t want “bland mushy baby food”. Well okay now, let me see what I can do. I decided to stick with the potato idea but opted for baked or in this case microwaved potatoes. I topped them with a Sicilian inspired wilted beet greens. Here is what I did:

Baked Potato topped with Sicilian Style Beet Greens
Serves 1

Ingredients:

10 ounces russet potatoes, microwaved until tender
2 tablespoon yellow onion, peeled and finely minced
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
2 tablespoons water to sauté aromatics
2 tablespoons golden raisins
2 cups beet greens and stems, stems finely chopped greens julienned (can use spinach or chard)
1 tablespoon pine nuts
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional Ingredients:  (if you don’t have a sore throat)

Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
Sprinkle of red wine vinegar, to taste

Directions:

While the potatoes are microwaving water sauté the onions and garlic until soft. Add the golden raisin and beet greens and cook until they are the texture you desire. Season the greens with salt and pepper to taste. If you are using the red pepper flakes and vinegar add it at this stage.

To serve, cut open the baked potato and top with the wilted greens and pine nuts.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 427.61
Calories From Fat (12%) - 51.04

Total Fat-  6.1g
Saturated Fat - 0.47g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 194.9mg
Potassium - 2766.1mg
Total Carbohydrates - 89.07g
Fiber - 8.91g
Sugar - 12.29g
Protein - 10.85g

Comments:

He said it was good but too spicy. Clearly I used too much pepper. He also said it hurt his throat due to the chunks. Maybe he will let me make something more bland and mushy for dinner. But somehow I doubt it. He has already been talking about my making lasagna. Can you say stubborn? Oye!

This portion of his lunch contained approximately 4,00IU of vitamin A, 100mg of vitamin C, 115mg of calcium, 310mcg of vitamin K, 275mg of phosphorus, and 150mg of magnesium. At least I managed to get a little nutrition into him.

I followed this up with a chocolate banana and peanut butter smoothie. That seemed to go down a little better. If this seems like a lot of calories, it is. He has dropped a few pounds since the sore throat so I am trying to put them back on him without resorting to a lot of fat. It is difficult to eat too many calories with our lifestyle.

Unrelated note:

Dinner will be late tonight since he didn’t get up until 10am and he just had lunch at 4pm. But if I can I will get another post up this evening.

For now I need to get back to more to do list. I hope you are all enjoying your weekend. Thank you so much for everyone that had food suggestions. Dan may almost be ready for soft food. After the “painful” lunch he may change his mind about lasagna for dinner. But we will see. He can be a very stubborn man, but I adore him.

Talk to you all again soon.

2 comments:

  1. LOL - men! Too bland then too spicy. Too mushy then too chunky. That'll teach him (or not). ;-) Beet greens???? You're killing me. First beets (which I tried), fennel (still haven't), now the beet greens????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,

    As my friend Louis say, "and he is all mine." LOL.

    I actually think you will like beet greens. You have probably had them. Baby beet greens are frequently in mesclun mix. Beet greens have a mild taste, similar to chard. I really like them. It is like a twofer when I get beets with nice leafy tops.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails