Monday, June 1, 2009

Fruit Salad with Whole Grain Bagel, Peanut Butter and Banana



Since “what makes a good vegan breakfast” is a recurring question, I will be posting our breakfast items when they are different from what I have previously posted.

I normally keep a few whole grain bagels in the freezer for mornings like this when I don’t want a smoothie, or to spend a lot of time making breakfast.

A quick defrost in the microwave and a little time in the toaster and we had breakfast. I added the peanut butter for protein and fat (so we can absorb all the fat soluble vitamins in our breakfast). The banana was included to hopefully protect us from a recurrence of kidney cancer. The banana also includes a nice amount of potassium, which is necessary for healthy blood pressure.

Any meal that goes from the refrigerator and freezer to my plate in under 10 minutes is my idea of the perfect meal. I also used the fruit salad I made last night and added a few strawberries for color and we were ready to eat.

Fruit is a great thing to incorporate in your diet on a daily basis. If you take a look at the USDA website for the ORAC values fruit scores very high in antioxidants. By having a big container of fruit salad in the refrigerator at all times you can easily eat four servings of fruit everyday.

Fruit Salad and Whole Grain Bagel with Peanut Butter and Banana
Serves 2

Ingredients:

4 cups of fruit salad (1/2 of what I made yesterday)
6 strawberries, sliced
3.5 ounce whole grain bagel
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
4 ounce banana, sliced

Directions:

Slice bagel in half, and toast. Spread each bagel half with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and top with banana slices.

Remove fruit salad from the refrigerator. Add strawberries to the fruit salad.

Eat immediately while the bagel is still warm and the fruit salad is cold.

Nutrition Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 391.44
Calories From Fat (20%) - 78.64

Total Fat - 9.4g
Saturated Fat - 1.96g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 349.49mg
Potassium - 956.47mg
Total Carbohydrates - 72.56g
Fiber - 8.11g
Sugar - 35.01g
Protein - 12.06g

Comments:

This breakfast is light but filling. I like that the salad is cold but the bagel is warm. I always like a mixture of warm and cold items. I also like the crunchiness of the bagel with the gooey texture of the peanut butter. Overall this is a nice quick breakfast with good nutritional content.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy this for breakfast because it is so easy,.... I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails