Monday, June 27, 2011

Challenge or Opportunity?

I posted this on Facebook today and I thought it was too good to not share on the blog. "Most of what you consider to be true about yourself are simply incorrect assumptions." When I read this I couldn't help but be touched by how true it was for us. Before cancer I would have told you that we couldn't give up meat and dairy let alone become extremely healthy vegans. However, I believe that when people set their mind to things we are all capable of much more than we realize. Look at us and the changes we made to our diet and lifestyle. Add to those changes that I wanted to bring the message that it is possible to eat a healthy and tasty vegan diet to other people struggling with chronic diseases.  In the beginning it was tough to keep writing the blog when I didn't have many readers or comments. But something told me to keep going and now I have over 400 followers and thousands of hits a day.  I only thing that changed was that I persisted.  The same is true of any change. Persistence it the key to success in most situations.

What assumptions do you have about yourself? Is there something that you think you want to do, exercise more, change your diet, get a better job, go back to school, etc., that you haven’t achieved yet? Have you convinced yourself that you can’t change your diet it because your family will never go for it, you need “the protein” because humans are meant to eat meat, you are big boned and will never be thin, a new job might be worse, and you can’t afford to go back to school or some similar story? For many people it is easier to convince ourselves that something isn’t possible than it is to move forward.  We are all comfortable staying where we are, even when we don't like it there, because the old pattern is familar.   However if you are willing to let go of the old stories that you tell yourself a world of possibilities opens up.

Challenges are opportunities in disguise but only when you view them that way. :-)  Do you have health challenges that you want to overcome or is it something else.  What do you want to change?

10 comments:

  1. I went back to the gym today! My goal this summer is to get back into the exercise habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie,

    An excellent goal! *woo hoo* Did you set up a schedule for yourself so that you could ease back into the gym?

    I am so happy for you! :-)
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to assume a lot about myself, but over the past year I have allowed myself the freedom to most just be "Hannah," a discovery that I have cultivated through my practice and study of yoga as well as my looking at my eating habits and why I eat what I do.

    My health challenges surround continuing in recovery from my eating disorder and to not be discouraged when I struggle through harder times. It is not a linear process, and one step back does not equate failure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah,

    I think it is human nature to "assume" things about ourselves. Good for you challenging your beliefs! You are very right about life not being linear. We definitely have good days and those that are not so good. However we don't let the bad days pull us off course and it sounds like you don't either.

    sending you cyber hugs and wishing you a happy and healthy life!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post. I needed this!
    "For many people it is easier to convince ourselves that something isn’t possible than it is to move forward. We are all comfortable staying where we are, even when we don't like it there, because the old pattern is familar."
    SO true. Change is hard, but it is necessary and it is time for me to make some changes and to really commit to them for once and for all.

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney,

    You need to make changes? They can't be dietary or lifestyle related I know you are uber healthy in that department. However I am happy to hear that something I wrote spoke to you. Thank you for letting me know. :-)

    big hugs,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ali,
    What about some sort of breakfast hummus? Not exactly sure what that means but what about a nut butter mixed with smashed banana. Then spread it on an apple, or a ezekial wrap. Something along those lines...
    ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jill

    Are you thinking something like the okara pate? That is a brilliant idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

    hope all is well in Buffalo, :-)
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ali,
    No I hadn't thought of that but that would be delicious. Or maybe a mushroom or lentil pate?

    I'm working on a recipe for tangy "baked beans" right now. Basically dried kidney/roman beans with carrot puree,balsamic vinegar, a mustard. Still working on how to make the puree super smooth and thick but I'm sure your vitamix would be perfect.
    Buffalo is fantasic! Thanks for asking. I'm going to Portugal next week!
    ~Jill
    p.s. your boat is beautiful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jill,

    The recipe sounds great. I hope you are happy with it.

    Portugal will be fabulous I am sure. I love Europe. Will you be sharing pictures when you return?

    Thanks, we think she will be fantastic once she is all cleaned up. :-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails