Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Raw Spaghetti with Sun-Dried Marinara, Nut Cheeze and Olives


This is one of those dishes that really doesn’t need a recipe. I am going to post one but believe me it isn’t necessary. Have any of noticed that many raw cookbooks make eating raw seem so time consuming or difficult? That really turned me off from raw food for a long time. Then I realized that raw food is as easy or difficult as you want to make it. This is one of those really fast dishes you can make when you are dog tired. The sun-dried tomato marinara will last for days in the refrigerator. The same can be said for the nut cheeze. The zucchini pasta is very fast. It takes longer to set up my mandoline that it does to cut the pasta. Here is what I did:

Raw Spaghetti
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 large zucchini, well scrubbed
1 recipe sun-dried tomato marinara
6 olives, pitted and finely slivered
Nut cheese, as much as you want (we used about 2 tablespoons)

Directions:

Using your mandoline or spiral slicer cut the zucchini into thin threads. Top the zucchini spaghetti with as much sun-dried tomato marinara as you like. We tend to like ours lightly dressed. Top the sauce with olives and nut cheese. Serve cold.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories 166.08
Calories From Fat (43%) - 70.78

Total Fat - 8.48g
Saturated Fat - 1.24g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 231.51mg
Potassium - 1146.66mg
Total Carbohydrates - 22.4g
Fiber - 5.94g
Sugar - 6.49g
Protein - 5.57g

Comments:

This dish, including making the marinara (but not the nut cheese) took under 10 minutes to prepare. It is one of the faster that I make for dinner. Raw food doesn’t have to be time consuming or complicated. This was made from ordinary ingredients and without a dehydrator. This is a great dish to make when the weather gets warm and you don’t want to eat anything hot.

Even though this was low in calories this has a reasonable amount of nutrition. Each serving contains approximately 1,600IU of vitamin A, 80mg of vitamin C, 65mg of calcium, 90mcg of folate, 130mcg of phosphorus, and 65mg of magnesium.

Unrelated notes:

Today has been a little unstructured at our house with me not focusing on any one thing for too long. Tomorrow I am going to try getting a few things crossed off my to-do list. There may not be as many posts as usual, but I will definitely post at least once.

I hope you are all having a great day. I will chat with you tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. I love the look of this recipe!!!!
    What is simpler than throwing everything together and eating!!!! I like everything on your plate!!!
    I cannot wait to try the cheese!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome...gosh and only 166 cals per serving? That has to be a record for how delicious it must be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi,

    The nut cheese is very simple. The ones without the agar are particularly easy.

    Rose,

    I did triple check the numbers since it so low, but it appears correct. I will run the numbers by hand to be certain.

    We are having strawberry ans banana sorbet now to make certain we have had enough calories. ;-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good and light. I really need to remember to pick up extra zucchini this week. I've been wanting a vegetable pasta. Just sounds perfect for the warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather,

    This is one of my favorite no fuss dinners. It may be the easiest raw dinner I make. I can't wait to see your variation!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks lovely. I agree with you, often raw cookbooks make it seem very time consuming to eat raw, but it sure doesn't need to be. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet,

    I really like raw food (like salads) but it took me a while to incorporate more raw food into our diet. It is nice to have this type of quick and easy raw recipe to turn to in a pinch. This dish comes together very quickly. I hope you like this as much as we do. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my spiralizer for zucchini pasta--you are right, it is so easy! I am super excited to hit up the farmers market this summer for lots and lots of zucchini :-)

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtney,

    Which spiralizer do you have? Mine is an attachment to my mandoline, but I think others would love to hear what you think of the brand you own.

    I love to make zucchini spaghetti. Do you make any other veggie spaghetti? If you do I would be curious which veggies you use.

    thanks!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the one I have:

    http://www.cultureoflifestore.com/product_info.php?products_id=706

    And it works great! I haven't used it for anything besides zucchini yet, but I am excited to try new things this summer :-)

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  11. Courtney,

    Thanks so much for the link. :-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails