Saturday, April 10, 2010

Brown Rice Stir Fry with Seitan and Pineapple


Tonight for dinner we had a quick stir fry since both the vegans and omnis agree on stir fry. My elderly parents have even come around to the idea of brown rice, but only when I am cooking that is. ;-) I don’t often measure when I make stir fry (sorry). But I can tell you what I included tonight in general terms. This stir fry included: minced fresh ginger, minced garlic, green onions, red bell pepper, finely diced celery, thinly sliced savoy cabbage, seitan cutlets cut into small cubes (from the freezer), cold cooked brown basmati rice, grated carrot, thinly sliced asparagus, fresh pineapple chunks and thinly sliced baby spinach. I water sauté the ingredients starting in the order I have the listed and continue to add them until I get to the rice. Once the rice is hot I turn off the heat and add the remaining ingredients and let the hot rice warm them. Then I season the rice with liquid aminos, mirin and sriracha. I served this with Asian walnut dressing for those that wanted it. It would also be good with cashews if you prefer.

The beauty of stir fry for me is that it is best made with cold leftover rice. Also you can cut the veggies hours ahead of time so it is a quick, toss in the pan dinner. Exactly the sort of thing I like to make when I don’t want to be cooped up in the kitchen. Stir fry makes a great plan ahead meal for those that are more organized than I am. ;-)

Unrelated:

As soon as I clean up the kitchen from dinner I am going to get started on the fava bean dish I am taking to Walid and Jackie’s tomorrow. I am still not completely certain which one I am making, but will make that decision while the beans are cooking. I think bean dishes always taste better the next day, after the flavors have had a chance to marry so that is why I am making it tonight.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day. Our plans are to hang out with Walid and Jackie and run some errands. I also hope to get some pictures outside. It is gorgeous here now with the spring trees and bushes in bloom. Since the beautiful colors and flowers always cheer me up I want to get some good shots to share with all of you. It is so nice to finally be done with the snow and have spring here. :-)

I hope to have time for another post tonight but don’t know if that will pan out. If not, I hope you are all having a great Saturday and I will talk to you soon!

13 comments:

  1. Looks like a yummy dinner. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the favas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Thanks. I think it was good, even my mother took some leftovers home. This is big since she is the unhealthy eater in the family.

    For the favas I think I am going to blend three different Egyptian recipes. Walid brought me back a cookbook from Cairo a couple of years ago. Since I can't decide which of the three recips to make, why not combine them? All the flavors work together so it should be great, although not traditional. The mini favas are simmering now.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you ever do a video or something id like to see how you water saute things. this meal looks great. my kitchen is just in shambles and i havent used the stovetop in months. i dont even know where our pots and pans are. i dont think ill be doing much cooking when my parents come. on another bloggers site (a guy) i dont rememeber the name of his blog but i saw your comment(stalker much) and .....i second caramel corn made healthy.....just so you know...like...i wouldnt be AGAINST that or anyhing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,

    Water sauteing is very, very simple. You place a little liquid (about 1/4 cup) in the pan and get it boiling. Then add your aromatics and cook until tender. If all the water evaporates before they are tender add a little (a tablespoon or two) more water. That is it. Simple stuff! It really does work great. And ... food tastes so much more clean, which I really like.

    That was Terrence's blog you were reading. ;-) I found his blog through Dr. Fuhrman. He has a great attitude and is very funny. His sense of humor reminds me of Dan.

    If I figure out how to make caramel corn healthy (which will be a good trick without sugar/agave, etc.), I will definitely let you know. ;-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that sounds great. I bought a pineapple yesterday. I just couldn't resist. Now I have another potential use. Isn't it amazing how the spring colors and weather can totally help with moods?! Can't wait to hear about tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,

    Stir "fried" rice is one of my favorite dishes. I make it with whatever I have in the house but always a lot of veggies. The pineapple addition reminded me of sweet and sour pork.

    When things beginning blooming it really does help with the mood doesn't it? Now if we could just do something about all the pollen.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, with you on the pollen. It's starting to really get to me the past couple of days. Guess Singulair can only take me so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,

    I don't have asthma or allergies and the pollen is bothering me. So I agree it is really bad right now. It makes the rain not look so bad!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so yummy and springish(??) I would bet that is tastes like spring too!!!
    I really love fava's! Actually there is not a bean I don't like. I even like garbanzo's now after avoiding them for most of my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brandi,

    When I make stir fry it is always loaded with veggies and short on rice, this is no exception. We think it has more flavor that way.

    I am using dried favas since the fresh ones aren't available yet. I agree with you there isn't a bean I don't like either. ;-)

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great, Alicia! Did your parents like the dish? Mmm-mm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just stumbled on your blog and your dinner looks delicious! I actually have a stir fry planned for tomorrow night too - for the ease of prep. as well as approval from omnis :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blessed Mama,

    Thanks! We enjoyed it. Yes the parents did like too, even my mother who is the hardest sell on healthy food. She actually took some leftovers for have for lunch the next day.

    Amanda,

    Thanks for your kind words. Stir fry makes frequent appearances at our house for those same reasons. ;-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails