Monday, July 18, 2011
Massimo is Sick Again and a New Hummus Flavor
My poor baby finished his run of antibiotics and now he is vomiting. Fortunately his urinary system isn’t blocked but I also don’t know why his gastrointestinal system is upset. It looks like we will be going back to the vet tomorrow. At the very least I will be on the phone again in the morning to talk to doc. Monday I spent most of my day tracking Masi to make certain that he was able to urinate. I have all the fun don’t I? I love that little fuzzy man so I don’t mind. He is so quiet when he moves that he is much harder to follow around than you would expect.
While my baby was sleeping I took the opportunity to make two new varieties of hummus. I got the flavor ideas from the hummus man at the farmers’ market on Sunday.
The first variety was wasabi and pickled ginger. All I did was cook some dried chickpeas until they were very soft and pureed them with a little of the cooking liquid. To this I added some wasabi powder and pickled ginger. Since I thought it needed a topping I tried three options: black sesame seeds, Eden shake (sesame seeds and shiso leaf) and a mix of black and white sesame seeds with dried ginger granules. I wasn’t sure what to expect but this didn’t really taste anything like hummus. The texture was like hummus but the flavor was more like sushi. I really liked this and will be playing with more exotic hummus variations now.
I will tell you all about the second variety tomorrow. I am holding back in case I am busy tomorrow taking care of my little fuzzy baby.
It was an unusual day so my happy thoughts are not at all like normal. Here is what I am thankful for today:
• While I hate that Masi is sick I am very happy that his urinary system isn’t blocked. Both Dan and I love this little angel and will do anything that is necessary to resolve this problem for him.
• I enjoyed the hummus experimentation today and feel like a whole new world has opened to me. Expect to see some crazy bean dip variations soon as I play around more with this concept.
• I have a lot of fun planned for this week which gives me something to look forward to. The photography seminar and jazz concert should be a lot of fun. If Masi isn’t feeling better thankfully I can cancel my other plans if necessary. I hate to cancel things but my family comes first.
• Dan saw an old friend today which I am sure he enjoyed, though he would never admit it.
• Things are going well in Grenada which also makes us both very happy.
• We went to the harbor last night to watch the sunset and to pick up Dan’s car from the garage. I took some nice photos of the harbor as the sun was setting which made me happy. As you know I love to take pictures. It is good to remind myself that I am capable of photographing things other than food and cats.
Dan needs to get up at 5am for a trip to Richmond tomorrow so we need to wind down. Talk to you again soon, hopefully tomorrow. *fingers crossed*