Saturday, July 2, 2011

Exercising in Tight Quarters & Recent Breakfasts


Figuring out how to exercise in limited space has been on my mind for the last few weeks for obvious reasons. With so many things being electric powered on the boat I know that sailing isn’t going be of a workout. *sigh* However I don’t want that to keep us from enjoying the boat when the weather is nice. Clearly we need ideas for exercising in tight quarters because while the boat is roomy but isn’t like being at home. Here are the ideas that I have come up with so far:

Buy a kayak to get some upper boat work when we are anchored (I have heard they make folding and inflatable models which would be great to have on board)
• Simple calisthenics which can be done on deck (crunches, push-ups, dips, etc.)
• Keep exercise bands on board which would be great since there are many things to wrap them around
• Travel with the TRX which I bet can be secured on the mast ;-) (Dan is cringing at the idea of this, just so you know)
• Go for a swim … but this is on the bottom of my list since I am not fond of swimming in the bay
• My friend Joy recommended exercise videos but I am not sure that I would have enough room to move around to use them on board

You were so great with breakfast ideas I was wondering if you had any exercise ideas. If you do please share I could really use the suggestions.

Recent Breakfasts:

Speaking of breakfast I am working on a few ideas for what to serve on the boat. Dan is more of a traditional breakfast person than I am. As you may have guessed Dan thinks I will eat just about any crazy combination of food and call it breakfast. I imagine some of you would/do agree with Dan.  ;-)


Yesterday I made this concoction which was: diced cucumber, a cooked tomato sauce with zucchini and artichokes. The sauce included Italian seasonings plus turmeric and black pepper for the health benefits. I finished this dish with chia seeds. Needless to say this was only for me, Dan had a green smoothie.


Today for breakfast we had: steel cut oats cooked with cinnamon, powdered ginger, nutmeg and cardamom. When I was grating the nutmeg I immediately thought of the boat because of where she is located. I added a dollop of reduced-fat peanut butter, some fresh red raspberries and finished with sliced almonds for crunch. This was definitely something that I made to Dan’s specifications.

Happy Thoughts:

• Everything is moving along nicely in Grenada which makes us both extremely happy. :-)

• The holiday weekend has started very low key which is nice since we have been swamped lately with unexpected tasks. We went for a nice walk this morning and even stopped to say good morning to Deirdre while we were out.


• Saturday we are heading downtown for a least one marina tour and might stop at West Marine while we are out. We both need to buy boat shoes since other than athletic shoes neither of us have anything with white soles.

• It is wonderful that the weather is forecasted to be nice most of the weekend. Who knows we might even grill some veggies and tofu if we have time.

Signing out:

I need to get ready to head downtown. I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday weekend and have some great things planned. Talk to you again soon.

4 comments:

  1. I bet you could do yoga on the boat. I like the 20-minute podcasts from yogadownload.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigid,

    Brilliant! Thanks for sharing that idea. I will deinitely be using it. :-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha you beat me to it I was going to suggest yoga too!!

    My trainer has me do some crazy core workouts which you will definitely have space for. The first series is a minute and a half: 30 seconds crunches, 30 seconds reverse crunches, 30 seconds bicycle crunches. Do that 3 times. Then the next series is a minute plank into 30 second side planks on each side. Do that once. After that you can do plank push-ups. Start in a plank position (forearms down on the ground) then lift your body up to a push-up and then go back down to your forearms. That is one plank push up. Do 3 sets of 10. I guarantee you that will work your core BIG TIME! ;) Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. xvavaveganx,

    Thanks...I think, LOL. In all seriousness that is a great suggestion, but I had to kid around. :-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails