For some reason neither Dan nor I slept well Sunday night. No surprise that meant that we slept in rather than going to the gym. I exercised after Dan left for work and he exercised at the office before coming home. We both worked out just not together or before dawn.
Dan was happy to have his favorite green smoothie for breakfast which included: kale, frozen bananas, wheat germ, freshly ground flaxseeds, cinnamon, powdered ginger, walnuts, water, and stevia.
Breakfast was inspired by Laura’s comment on yesterday’s post. I loved this so much I also had it Tuesday for breakfast. Here is what I did:
Grapefruit and Kale Juice
1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled and seeded
4 organic kale leaves and stems
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
small piece of fresh ginger (peel if not organic and young otherwise just clean well)
¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
2 ½ cups water
2 tablespoons wheat germ
1 tablespoon golden flaxseeds, freshly ground
Place everything in your blender and process until smooth. Serve in a frozen glass or over ice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories - 321.9
Calories From Fat (20%) - 62.89
Total Fat - 7.33g
Saturated Fat - 0.89g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 112.61mg
Potassium - 1404.86mg
Total Carbohydrates - 59.5g
Fiber - 13.4g
Sugar - 17.01g
Protein - 14.13g
This tastes predominantly like grapefruit juice but with the added nutrition of raw kale. Woo Hoo! What a winner this combination is! Thank you Laura for the inspiration as you can tell I loved your citrus suggestion!
Since Monday was a grey and rainy day I decided to have 2 medium bowls leftover split pea soup from the weekend for my lunch. I needed something to warm up a little given the weather. Instead of taking another picture I used the one from the weekend. ;-)
No surprise I had my usual snack of an orange and two Brazil nuts. What am I going to do when it is no longer prime citrus season? ;-)
For dinner I made a quick pot of curried tomato sauce which I added mushrooms and broccoli to and served that over quinoa and topped with cashews. I like to combine broccoli with tomatoes since learning that when they are combined the phytonutrients in both are more bioavailable. Since Dan was very late coming home I had a small serving before bed so it didn’t keep my up. Dan's serving was about three times this size. I made extra to put in Dan's lunch on Tuesday.
Tuesday was a good day, a little busy but still good. Here are my happy thoughts:
• It was nice to wake up to blue skies this morning after our day of rain on Monday. It is a shame that was a little on the cool side by the sunshine was very welcome and brightened my mood.
• Today I spent a little time organizing and now have an excel spreadsheet of all my exercise and health DVDs as well as my Wii health games. I knew I had too many DVDs when I brought home an exercise DVD that I already own but hadn’t used lately. LOL *shakes head* Sometimes I need a wrap on the side of the head to do things like cataloging my DVDs.
• Our friend Phil is going to be in town next week which means dinner out. ;-) I found out today that Walid, and possibly his lovely wife Jackie, will also be joining the group. Sounds like a party to me. It is fun to get together with friends for dinner. There really is nothing like a gathering on a work night to put a smile on my face. Somehow things like this make weekdays seem less daunting.
• I had a chance to chat on the phone with a blogger friend today. It is really nice to be able to put a voice with the face. I love making new friends don’t you? It is even better when those friends are as concerned about health and nutrition as you are. I think having health conscious friends helps me to stay on the appropriate nutritional path.
• Isn’t this a great picture of the sunrise? I took it a few weeks ago and forgot to share it with you. As you may have noticed I love to take pictures particularly of nature. Mother Nature really can put on a show can’t she?
I am running a bit late today getting my post written and making dinner. Sorry this post was a little short I ran out of time but didn’t want to skip a day like I did far too many times this year. I hope Tuesday was a good one for you. Enjoy what is left of your evening. Talk to you again tomorrow.