Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Jury Duty, Lunch at Suzie’s Soba and Agro Dolce Broccoli Rabe


(pictured: The courthouse exterior)

This was jury duty morning which meant no gym. *ugh* I was not happy about skipping the gym in the morning but there was no way I would have made it to the courthouse on time had we gone to the gym first.

Jury duty was painfully boring. I only took one book and had it read early so I had nothing to distract myself after 10:30 in the morning. Phone reception was poor so I couldn’t even spend my day texting. *sigh*

Since Dan’s office is two blocks from the courthouse we met for lunch. We decided to go to Suzie’s Soba which we both love. This place is one of those hidden gems in the city. It isn’t typically too busy, the food is fabulous and the service is quick.

Both Dan and I almost always order the same thing so I decided to get something new today and break out of my comfort zone.

I started with a wild blueberry and club soda spritzer. This was excellent. I would definitely consume more blueberries if I started making these at home. Expect to see a recipe for this soon, maybe even this week.

We ordered an edamame appetizer because we love them and they provide additional protein.

For lunch I order the Thai Penang Curry with Tofu. The menu described it as “a very spicy yet complex curry, this style incorporates wok-roasted chili peppers, coriander, cinnamon, star anise, clove & lemongrass, served with snow peas and rice.” You can get it with chicken, tofu, eggplant or shrimp. This curry is definitely spicy but I loved it. It is probably my new favorite dish at Suzie’s Soba. I normally order the bibim bap with tofu and no egg but the curry dish has a much bigger and more complex flavor.

Dan ordered the Yaki Soba which is his favorite. It is described as “buckwheat noodles & fresh vegetables sautéed in tangy, slightly sweet fruit & soy-based sauce. While Dan loves the yaki soba he had the end of my curried tofu and had to admit that was very good and possibly better. ;-)

After lunch it was back to the courthouse for me and work for Dan. As people were getting excused from the jury pool for claiming they couldn’t be objective I was getting worried. I need to learn to lie and say I can’t be objective. *shakes head* The jury panel was finalized literally two jurors before they got to my number. Thanks goodness I had a high number this time.

This particular trial was a drug case. I am definitely anti drug after working in health care so long.  This really would not have been a good case for me to be on. Good thing I was excused.


After eating out so much in the last couple of days I was looking forward to me own cooking. I feel better when I eat my food. I am going to describe what I did so I can get this posted tonight. In 2 tablespoons of wine vinegar and ¼ cup of water sauté 1 thinly sliced red onion, 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 tablespoon hot crushed peppers (aka wet hots) and ¼ cup of golden raisins for 5 minutes. Add one bunch of chopped broccoli rabe (about 2 pounds) and cook until the broccoli rabe is tender crisp (about another 5 minutes). Toss in ½ cup of sliced almonds. I served this over cooked quinoa. The entire meal was finished in the time it took me to cook the quinoa. I based it on the traditional method that Sicilians used to cook dark greens.

Happy Thoughts:

Wednesday was a good day, not as productive as I had hoped but good. Here are my happy thoughts tonight.

• Dan came home from work before 6pm so we had a nice relaxing evening. It meant dinner wasn’t ready (or even started) since he is never that early. But I winged a dish and it worked out and we still had time to relax together.

• The fur kids were precious today. They are really enjoying the Christmas tree and haven’t destroyed anything yet.

Signing out:

Time for me to finish the laundry I started earlier and forgot about and get into bed. Getting up at 5:30am to be at the gym by 6am means we need to get into bed much earlier.

I hope everyone had a great Wednesday. Talk to you all again tomorrow.


  1. Oh total boo on the jury duty. But, on the bright side - you got to have lunch with your honey!

  2. Heather,

    Jury duty was a bummer, but at least I didn't end up on a jury. It could have been much worse. However I agree with you that it was wonderful to have lunch with Dan. That is always great. ;-)


  3. Yum, yum, yum, Ali! I agree with Heather--it looks like that lunch w/ Dan made the jury duty worth it? Maybe? LOL.


  4. I think it is nice Dan met you for lunch! Jury duty os never any fun, but your day sounded dreadful!

  5. LJ,

    Lunch with Dan was fabulous but jury duty ... not so much. But I didn't end up on a jury and that was wonderful, LOL


  6. Brandi,

    Waiting around to be called for a trial was BORING. That was the benefit and curse of having a high number. I should have taken a least two books and/or my netbook to keep me occupied.

    On the bright side lunch was great so I shouldn't complain. ;-)


  7. I got a jury duty letter this year, but I had to opt out because I have the kids at home (and thankfully, they let me opt out). I was sort of bummed, though, because I've always wanted to have jury duty, which is ridiculous because I believe you when you say it's boring. Maybe boring seems really nice and relaxing compared to my normal days. :)

  8. Jenny,

    It is not that easy to "get out" of jury duty here. Good for you!

    I tend to end up on the jury panel if they get to my number. I think I have been on 10 now. The last one was particularly bad because the defendant was obvious guilty and 10 of the 12 jurors didn't consider music piracy a crime. I actually felt threatened by those 10 jurors. It wasn't fun. Overall jury duty in a big city has not been a good time for me. I hope you have a better experience.

    Enjoy your weekend,


Related Posts with Thumbnails