Friday, August 21, 2009

Mocha Frappaccino



At 10 am the heat index was 94 degrees here on the east coast. The weather is normally unpleasant during the end of August but today is worse than normal. While I haven’t ventured out of the air conditioning yet I decided iced coffee was in order this morning. My husband isn’t crazy about iced coffee but he likes it when I put it in the blender. What is the difference you ask, heck if I know? I suppose it is a texture issue with him but I am not really certain.

I have been making frappaccinos at home for over a decade. When I first starting making them I used skim milk and artificial sweeteners. Back then the stevia powder was green so I didn’t use it often since it caused the food to have a crazy unpleasant look. Looking back I realize how much what we eat has changed in a decade. I often wonder how much what we ate impacted the DNA mutations and resulting cancer. While I will probably never know the answer to that question I can at least make decisions today with the available information I have now.

If you like coffee and cocoa give this drink a try. It is easy and everyone that has tried it has liked it.

Mocha Frappaccino
Serves 2

Ingredients:

¾ cups of coffee or espresso, preferably cold
1 ¼ cups of almond milk, unsweetened
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
2 scoops of stevia, or to taste
2 cups of ice cubes

Directions:

Put everything into your blender and process until it is completely smooth. Serve immediately in chilled glasses.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 32.07
Calories From Fat (58%) - 18.44

Total Fat - 2.26g
Saturated Fat - 0.22g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 103.2mg
Potassium - 205.82mg
Total Carbohydrates - 3.72g
Fiber - 1.52g
Sugar - 0.05g
Protein - 1.26g

Comments:

If you want to enjoy a mocha frappaccino without guilt this is your drink. It is cold, creamy and satisfying. This drink tastes mostly of espresso with a subtle chocolate in the background. I used two scoops of stevia and this drink was more than sweet enough for me. My husband (Mr. Sweet tooth) thought it could be sweeter, but he says that about everything. I think this is the perfect drink when the weather is hot but you want coffee.

If you want to give this a little Mexican flavor add a touch of ground cinnamon, which also works well. I have been known to add coffee or hazelnut liquor if we are having this in the evening. The options for variations are many.

2 comments:

  1. oooooh, that sounds good! Its a good thing its a frappaccino and NOT coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,

    This drink is light, kind of like a cappuccino flavored snow cone. I hope you like it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails