Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sweet Tofu, Cinnamon, Walnut and Apricot Spread


(pictured: Yoga Bread with Sweet Tofu, Cinnamon, Walnut and Apricot Spread)

Do you like cinnamon toast, or raisin bread? If so, you should give this spread a try. Earlier this week I picked up a loaf of whole wheat bread that includes cranberries and sunflower seeds. The somewhat sweet bread makes a great toast with peanut butter, but I wanted another option for a topping. Today I made a sweet tofu spread that I particularly like. It is very quick and easy to make in the food processor. Try any nut or fruit you like in the spread. The variations of this spread are numerous.

Sweet Tofu, Cinnamon, Walnut and Apricot Spread
Makes 26 – 1 tablespoon servings

Ingredients:

7 ounces of extra firm tofu, drained and squeezed of water
½ cup of walnuts, toasted
3 tablespoons of amber agave
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of vanilla
6 dried apricots, roughly chopped

Directions:

Place tofu, walnuts, agave, cinnamon and vanilla in the food processor and puree until completely smooth. Add the apricots and pulse to combine. You can leave the apricots somewhat chunky or puree until they are smooth. I like my spread to have a little texture from the apricots so I left mine apricots chunky.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 27.44
Calories From Fat (59%) - 16.09

Total Fat - 1.92g
Saturated Fat - 0.18g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 1.17mg
Potassium - 42.12mg
Total Carbohydrates - 1.91g
Fiber - 0.49g
Sugar - 1.03g
Protein - 1.17g

Comments:

Sometimes I have fruit and/or nut bread on hand that I want to use for breakfast. This spread is great on toast if you want something that is a little sweet that is not bad for you. This reminds me of cinnamon toast, only a healthy version. The serving size on this spread is smaller than my savory spreads because otherwise I find it to be a little too sweet. If you like fruit, nut and cinnamon I think you will like this spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails