Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bourbon Glazed Seitan Cutlets



This is my healthy vegan version of barbecued pork. The bourbon glaze adds so much flavor you won’t miss the pork. This is also a very fast entrée to pull together if you keep the seitan roasts in the freezer, like I do. I defrosted the seitan in the microwave while I made the glaze and preheated the oven. I had the seitan finished and cooling in less than 45 minutes. Most of that time I was in the living room documenting the recipe while the sauce simmered or the seitan was roasting. I love meals like this that require little involvement from the chef but look and taste like you went to a lot of work.

Bourbon Glazed Seitan Cutlets
Makes 4 entrée sized servings

Ingredients:

2 seitan roasts, cut into cutlets 1/3 of an inch thick
1 recipe for sweet and spicy bourbon glaze

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Use a non-stick half sheet pan if you have it; otherwise line the pan with a sheet of parchment paper. This is not a situation where you want to use a silpat. The seitan will not get as brown if you use a silpat lined pan.

Place the seitan cutlets on the half sheet pan in a single layer. Brush both sides of the cutlets with the bourbon glaze. Bake for 15 minutes and then remove from the oven and brush both sides of the seitan again and flip the cutlets. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Both sides of the seitan should be glazed. I move the seitan to a glass storage container and pour any remaining glaze over the seitan and store in the refrigerator until I am ready to reheat it for dinner.

I reheat the seitan in a skillet over medium heat that I sprayed with a little olive oil. The seitan will reheat in a few minutes if your cutlets are approximately 1/3 of an inch thick.

Nutritional Information (per serving):

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 266.65
Calories From Fat (6%) - 15.98

Total Fat - 1.8g
Saturated Fat - 0.34g
Cholesterol - 0.62mg
Sodium - 1898.9mg
Potassium - 224.54mg
Total Carbohydrates - 20.73g
Fiber - 3.19g
Sugar - 1.25g
Protein - 31.65g

Comments:

The flavors and textures of this dish are fabulous. The seitan is tender on the inside but a little crispy on the outside from the glaze. The sweet and spicy glaze adds a nice dimension to the seitan that it doesn’t otherwise have. This recipe reminds me very much of a gourmet barbequed pork. This may be my favorite seitan recipe. I really hope you give it a try. If you do try it please let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Just made this for dinner! Me and my boyfriend cannot get enough of the delicious glaze! The seitan roast recipe had a great flavor and tender texture. Will definitely make again. Now we are looking for a great vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, I am so glad you liked the glaze as much as we did! I will post a vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails