Sunday, September 4, 2011

Crazy Sexy Diet Cleanse and an Update

This is going to be a quick post because it has been a productive but not very exciting weekend at our place.

We made our usual trip to the farmers’ market on Sunday and this time came home with mother lode of produce. I must have been having local produce withdrawal since the market was closed last week due to the hurricane. That is the only explanation I have for the amount of produce I picked up this morning. There was so much we had to make multiple trips to the car to drop things off.

Today we came home with: a big basket of apples, three big bunches of kale, 8 cucumbers, 6 tomatoes, a bunch of cilantro, 1 enormous bok choy, 4 eggplants, 1 pound portabellas, 1 bunch black radishes, 2 bags mixed baby lettuce, 6 ears of corn, and 1 cantaloupe.  We also bought two different types of hummus. The varieties today were caramelized peach with habanero and Fusion. I was intrigued with the fusion which was a combination of Asian Fire (a spicy Asian hummus) and curried mango. Those flavors together blended beautifully.


The weather was so beautiful when we got home from the market we went for a trek up and down the hills on our neighborhood which was a little over 3 miles. It was a very pleasant way to wake up.


Additionally we have been enjoying the white bean cheeze that I made on Saturday. If you haven’t tried that recipe but are looking for a low fat cheeze replacement I think you might like it. We like it on salad on to dip veggies into. It also makes a nice cheese replacement in quesadillas.

Crazy Sexy Diet Cleanse:

I first heard of Kris Carr in regard to her documentary “Crazy Sexy Cancer”. It is difficult to argue with the success she has had in stopping the growth of an inoperative cancer. When a girlfriend of mine mentioned that she was thinking about doing this cleanse you know I got interested since this is a pattern with me.  The cleanse in this book is surprisingly similar to our regular diet (minus the dinners out). Since I was comfortable with the diet and exercise portion of the plan I have decided to give it a try to see how I feel. Please note the author does talk about enemas and colonics and that is something that I will not be doing because I have read of the dangers associated with them.

The reason I am mentioning this 21-day cleanse is that a few of my friends are going to do it together so we can share our experiences. If are interested in joining in let me know either by posting a comment here of by sending me an email at veganepicurean@gmail.com .


In keeping with the upcoming cleanse I made an awesome green juice today. This one included: 1 cucumber, 4 big stems/leaves of kale, ½ lemon, 2 carrots, 2 stalks celery and two cloves of garlic. I finished this juice with a sprinkle of cayenne and a pinch of sea salt on Dan’s serving. This made two 16 servings of juice. Even though this juice wasn’t sweet Dan still enjoyed it and that was a huge shock to me.

Happy thoughts:

We have had an extremely productive weekend which means that I have a lot to be thankful for.

• Saturday while Dan did some guy things (insert power tools here) I got busy reorganizing both my main and overflow dry goods pantries. OMG am I a food hoarder. I swear I could feed us for months from what I have on hand. No exaggeration I have over 25 pounds of various dried beans in the house, and somehow none of them are black beans. ;-) It is my goal to make meals based on what I have at home over the next month, other than trips to the farmers’ market, until I can reduce my inventory. It felt good to get my food organized.

• Sunday I did the same thing and cleaned and reorganized our two refrigerators and big freezer. No surprise I discovered I have over 20 pounds of nuts and seeds in the freezer. Again, time to work on reducing my food inventory. Can you tell organizing was overdue at our house? *LOL* It was great to cross these tasks off my to-do list.

• We had two days with weekend without rain. Given the forecast prior to the weekend we were very fortunate. With the nice weather we were even able to cross off a few yard work tasks.  Being productive feels good.

• Dan and I had a lot of “face time” so far this weekend. We have had a very nice weekend together even though we have been busy getting stuff done. So far we haven’t decided what we are going to do on Monday. But the weather is supposed to be rainy so whatever it is I assume we will be inside.

• I mentioned a treadmill desk on Facebook the other day and Dan has graciously offered to build me one. Isn’t he just the sweetest thing? I think I will keep him. ;-) Once he gets that finished I will let you know what I think of it. We both thought it was a good idea since I am more active during the summer, and summer is coming to an end. Besides I spend so much time either reading or online if I can get some exercise while I do that it will be fantastic.

Signing out:

I hope you are having a fantastic long weekend. Talk with you again soon.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how tastebuds change? I never thought Ryan liked "savory" green juices until I got a green juice at Herbivore last year & he drank almost the entire thing.

    Which juicer do you own & what do you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie,

    I have an Omega 8006 masticating juicer and I really like it. We had a centrifugal juicer before this and rarely used it because it was a pain to clean until this one. This one is nice because I can also juice wheat grass in it.

    Here is the link to my review:
    http://veganepicurean.blogspot.com/2010/02/omega-8006-juicer-review.html

    It is wild how much taste buds change. ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Green Smoothie, Ali! Similar to My Fave (which has a Green apple and Ginger (I don't care for carrots much. isn't that weird?! I like Beets, tho!) ;*}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,

    Thanks! I typically use apple as well but I was trying to keep the fruit down because of the parameters of the Crazy Sexy Cleanse. Much to my surprise we both liked this. ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made burritos last night without meat! I could have also made it vegan by leaving out the cheese and sour cream, but decided that was at least a start. They were so good too! I am able to eat a lot more things with natural flavor and not depend so much on my old habits. Also, stuff I used to eat that I LOVE just doesn't feel right most of the time any more! Slowly but surely we are changing for a healthier family us!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails