Sunday, January 30, 2011

Quick Soba Noodle and Vegetable Soup

Friday morning we awoke to more snow but this time it was only flurries thankfully. It its funny I thought I missed snow until it arrived. Since we are well past Christmas I am ready for spring now thank you very much. ;-) I guess we all want what we don’t have. It must be part of human nature.

I typically ask Dan what he wants for breakfast and this time he requested a green smoothie. It was his usual smoothie with kale, frozen banana, cinnamon, powdered ginger, freshly ground flaxseed, and fresh soymilk processed in the Vitamix until smooth. Dan is convinced that smoothies are better when made with soymilk. He thinks they are creamier and the flavor is more well rounded. I still make mine with water because I don’t need the extra calories but if you do I think he has a point about the flavor and texture.


Like usual I knocked out my exercise and then made breakfast for myself. I was in the mood for savory oats this time. This version included nutritional yeast, freshly ground flaxseed, cumin, chili powder and black pepper in the oats. I topped the oats with chopped broccoli, salsa and raw pumpkin seeds. I really could eat these every day. I love having something as nutritious as green veggies in my breakfast. It seems to be the right way to start the day.

As I usually checked on my parents and did some light housekeeping at their place. Since my father does everything at their house I like to give him a hand. Cleaning is not something he is accustomed to which means also he greatly appreciates the help.


Once I was back home and ready to eat my lunch I wanted something fast and decided to warm up the end of the curried lentil and tomato soup which I topped with sliced almonds. Looks like I will be making a pot of soup this weekend again. ;-) As you can see there is some consistency to the universe. If it is a weekend I must be making soup. LOL

After lunch I found time for laundry, reading, organizing and listening to jazz while I sipped tea. I try to be kind to myself everyday and do something that isn’t productive rather just something that I enjoy. Normally I pick listening to music but it could also be taking a long hot bath, reading or talking to a friend. Most women seem to be too busy taking care of their families that they don’t do anything for themselves. I feel that when I am rested and content I can do a much better job of taking care of others. Does anyone agree with me on this?


Like usual for my afternoon snack I had an orange and two Brazil nuts (for the selenium). I am absolutely in a snack rut but I am still enjoying it which means it may not change for a while.


Much to my surprise Dan actually came home from work earlier than usual. Since we had some time before dinner we decided to try to get caught up on season 6 of Criminal Minds. This meant I was not in the kitchen making dinner. When we were both hungry I made a quick pot of soup with soba noodles. Dan loves soba noodles which is why I made this particular soup. It isn’t as healthy as most of my food but it is still better than a lot of things I could have made I suppose. Here is what I did:

Quick Soba Noodle and Vegetable Soup
Serves 2 as dinner

Ingredients:

8 cups water or no sodium veg stock (I used water)
1 large onion, thinly sliced (after slicing allow to sit 10 minutes to allow the chemical reaction to take place)
6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced (after slicing allow to sit 10 minutes to allow the chemical reaction to take place)
½ tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced (I don’t peel mine since it is organic I just clean it well to remove the dirt)
2 cups mushrooms thinly sliced (I used crimini but shitake would make more sense)
2 individual bundles of soba noodles
3 cups broccoli, thinly sliced (I used frozen that was most defrosted it is easier to slice when still a little frozen)
½ tablespoons red barley miso, or to taste (you could substitute liquid aminos or low sodium soy sauce)
¼ cup freshly cilantro, minced
½ teaspoon black and white sesame seeds with dried ginger bits for garnish

Directions:

Combine the water, onion, garlic, ginger, mushrooms and bring to a boil. Add the soba noodles and stir so they don’t clump together. Set a timer for 3 minutes then add the broccoli and set the time for 2 minutes. Test the noodles to see if they are done if yes turn off the heat. Mix the miso with a little of the soup broth so there are no miso lumps and add that to pot and stir. Stir in half of the fresh cilantro reserving the rest for garnish. Serve with sesame seeds on top.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 420
Calories From Fat (6%)- 26.73

Total Fat - 3.06g
Saturated Fat - 0.24g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 365.61mg
Potassium - 912.29mg
Total Carbohydrates - 82.69g
Fiber - 11.13g
Sugar - 4.78g
Protein - 19.36g

Comments:

This is one of my very fast one pot dinners. Dan enjoyed it but as always he thought it needed more salt. He says that about everything but he also knows we are trying to keep our sodium level to a minimum for health reasons. I think he likes to remind me that he is paying attention. ;-)

You can add many different items to this soup. I have made it with tofu cubes, julienned carrot, thinly sliced green onion, dried mushrooms, broccoli rabe, shredded Chinese cabbage, julienned bell pepper, jalapenos, to name a few possible options. It is very versatile and you can use almost any veggies you have on hand.

Poor Dan he was so full after the giant bowl of soup that he didn’t have room for his usual strawberry banana soft serve. ;-)

After dinner we watched another few episodes of Criminal Minds and then we turned in the evening. Overall it was both a productive and relaxing day. Not bad for a Friday I thought. ;-)

Happy Thoughts:

I am in a great mood since it is the weekend. *happy dance* I love my weekends, LOL. Here is what I am happy for today:

• It is wonderful to have the ability to help out my parents and be home to make our food from scratch. I realize that most people don’t have that option which makes me very thankful that I can do it.

• I loved that Dan was home much earlier than usual. We had a nice relaxing evening at home. I wish he would relax more often but I will take any little bit I can get. ;-)

• I am grateful that I taught myself to cook when I was younger. I have so many friends in their 40’s or older that can’t cook and have to rely on Whole Foods prepared meals. I am grateful to have the ability to make healthy meals for my family in a minimal amount of time.

• Our fur children are being precious like always. I love that the three of them want to be near us all the time. We are very lucky to have them as part of our family.

• We had a nice evening out on Saturday and got to see Aimee (one of “the kids”). She is always such a joy to be around.  When Michael came to pick her up from work he saw our car and came in to see us.  I was not kidding when I said these are the kids we wished were ours. We picked up some loose tea last weekend and grabbed a couple bags for them too. Since they are also enjoying tea now I wanted to make certain they didn’t run out. We wouldn’t want them going back to soda now would we? ;-) I was very happy when Aimee told me she has been making tea for them to take to class to drink instead of soda.  You go girl!

• I have been enjoying Saturday with Dan. It is wonderful that he doesn’t need to work this weekend. I love spending time with my husband; he has been my best friend for as long as I can remember.

Signing out:

Time for me to spend some time with my hubby and that means logging out. I hope all of you are having a wonderful weekend. Talk to you again tomorrow. I have another quick recipe to share. This one is baked veggies in red sauce topped with homemade “melty vegan mozzarella”. Even my mother and father liked this. Will miracles never cease? ;-)

20 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Anything with broccoli:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to have soba noodles! I was thinking of picking some up yesterday but didn't - maybe soon though, this soup looks very nice. I even have sesame seeds for garnish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aimee,

    I am a huge fan of broccoli too. I love the taste and the fact that is so good for you. ;-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. foodfeud (M),

    Dan adores soba noodles which is why I always have them in the house. I prefer the ones with matcha (green tea powder) in them but he likes the plain. They all have a fairly mild taste to me. You could make this with angel hair pasta too if you don't want to run to the store just for the noodles.

    enjoy your Sunday,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring can't get here soon enough! That soba dish looks great. I never think to use them in a soup for some reason. Hope you're having a great Sunday so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,

    One of Dan's favorite dishes at a local restaurant is a soba noodle soup. I think that is why I think to use them in soup. ;-)

    It was very cold here yesterday. When we went out for dinner I had my full lenght coat on, gloves, boots and two sweaters. I would have loved your 73 degree day. I hope your weather today is equally as gorgeous. Please enjoy it for both of us.

    hugs,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely agree with your point about being well-rested/relaxed. How can anyone care for others if that person does not care for self?
    I liken it to the flight attendant's admonition of "those flying with small children or dependents need to put their oxygen mask on FIRST"!
    Really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm soba noodle soup. Your savory oats have me wanting those, too, although I usually enjoy sweet oats in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ali,
    Where do you like to buy your teas and I'm curious, where do you find matcha soba noodles? Sounds wonderful!
    xo
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I canot find any darn soba anywhere, we need an intervention in Hutchinson. Seriously, I think people here are just plain stupid.
    I love broccoli and soba noodles! So darn tasty. I threw out all my salt today... it was hard, but I did it. Aren't you proud...lol
    Hugs
    B~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teresa,

    I was thinking the same thing about putting on your oxygen mask first. Great minds think a like. LOL.

    thanks for letting me know you enjoy the blog,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dianne,

    You are another soba noodle fan I see. Dan loves them and orders them every chance he gets. ;-)

    I love the savory oats but Dan prefers his sweet like you. He will eat my savory version but the fruit and nut varieties are his favorite. I think the salsa and nutrition yeast make a big difference in the savory oats.

    thanks for commenting, :-)
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  13. A program called Province Wide, on CTV is featuring a man who lost weight and reversed heart disease and diabetes through a 'plant-based diet.' I find it funny that they seem to avoid using the term vegan but it is. I think it's great that such a lifestyle is getting public reconignition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aimee,

    I buy my tea from many different places. If I am shopping for loose tea I get that from: Teavanna, Baltimore Coffee and Tea, or The Health Concern (a local health food store). I buy our tea in bags from either: Baltimore Coffee and Tea, Costco, Whole Foods or the Asian market.

    I buy the green tea soba noddles from our local Asian market. Do you need brand names?

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Ali. No brand names necessary...just wondering if you ordered any online, but it looks like you shop locally...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Shannon,

    This is just a guess but they could be referring to it as a whole food plant based diet because there is a lot of unhealthy vegan food. Thanks for the tip on the show. I will see if I can find it online. It sounds interesting.

    I hope you have a good week,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aimee,

    I do order my Teavanna tea online and I am almost positive Baltimore Coffee and Tea also sells online.

    hope you have a great week,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brandi,

    Let me know if you want me to send you some soba I would be happy to do that.

    You threw out your salt! OMG is your family in a panic? Good for you, very impressive! ;-)

    hugs,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just made this for lunch! It was sooo good, but I got way more than two bowls of soup out of it, more like 10 servings. So not complaining. Thanks for yummy foods!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joline,

    Glad you liked the soup thanks for letting me know. I remember this soup and it did make a lot but the calories were so low for a meal we ate it all and were very full. Putting servings sizes on the recipes is always hit or miss but I have to pick something to get the nutrition info per serving.

    thanks again for letting me know you liked the soup,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails