Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Raw Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms


This is more of a method than a recipe. But I wanted to share the idea of it. I decided to make some stuffed mushrooms to go with our raw pizza fillings. While the flax based bread is good, it is also high in calories. That is great for the hubby, but I don’t want any unnecessary calories. To get the taste of the pizza without the flax bread I made stuffed mushrooms. This was very easy and quick to do.

Remove the stems from a pound of fresh crimini mushrooms to create a cavity to hold the filling. Rinse the mushrooms well with water to remove the dirt. While the mushrooms were still damp toss them with sea salt. Place them in the dehydrator until they were a little dried out and warm (about an hour). Now add a little sun-dried tomato marinara into the cap and top it with sun-dried tomato nut cheeze. I finished the dish with some dried oregano, and black pepper. They were quite nice. The hubby preferred the pizza and I preferred the mushrooms. Good thing is it easy to make both at the same time.

Crimini mushrooms make a small mouth-sized morsel that you can pop into your mouth. They would make a nice party appetizer. I have leftovers of all the components so I will be making some of these tomorrow with my lunch.  It is surprising how much these taste like baked mushrooms.

Unrelated note:

For now I need to do some more work on the Healthy Cooking Challenge so we can announce a winner. So that you can be thinking of your next recipe submission the topic will be vegan fast food. We haven’t finalized how we are going to define this. But suffice it to say both low fat and healthy are important. If anyone has a suggestion for how to define fast food please feel free to share. I am thinking of fast in terms of total active cooking time (which would allow low involvement meals like soups to be included).

Additionally, before you all think I have gone raw, that is not the case. I am simply trying to add more raw food to our diet. We will also continue to eat plenty of cooked food. I am going to make some type of hot soup tonight for dinner.How many of you are interested in seeing raw food recipes?

14 comments:

  1. These look and sound too good to be legal. I think they should be classified as a controlled substance. In fact, I think I'd better confiscate them all, right now. For your own good, of course. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good, and I think they'd be perfect as a superbowl appetizer!
    I am always interested in more raw recipes, so please share;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lalo,

    These were a little addictive. ;) I will be making many variations of these going forward. Glad you like the sound of them. The best part was how easy they were.

    Janet,

    Superbowl appetizer, brilliant suggestion!

    Thanks for letting me know you are interested in raw recipes. My husband thought it might be a little "too granola" for most.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I love stuffed mushrooms. Talk about a fantastic appetizer for a party too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, found this definition of fast food:

    http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/fast%20food

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,

    Janet had the Superbowl suggestion, which I thought was great.

    Glad you like the sound of it. I found them to be a little too easy to eat, if you know what I mean. But....definitely tasty.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather,

    Thanks for the definition. That does help to refine my thoughts on this.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep the raw coming! I think it is really the natural progression to experiment with on a vegan diet. I tried a lot of simple raw recipes during my cleanse and I'd be interested in trying any one of these more complex ones that you have been posting, they all sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah,

    You wrote almost exactly what I said to the hubby last night when he questioned if anyone else would be interested in raw food. Glad to hear we are on the same page.

    thanks,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. My definition of vegan fast food is vague too, I guess, but usually it means I need to get dinner on the table in a hurry. I don't favor processed foods, so generally that means either I thought ahead and prepared some items over the weekend that can be pulled together in a few minutes, or (more often) I have 20-30 minutes to put a meal on the table and I haven't even thought about it yet! lol!

    I'm eager to see how you define it for your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aisling,

    Sounds like we were thinking of fast similarly. I hope to have it defined and posted by the end of the week.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really interested in seeing raw recipes, and I know you got a new "toy" recently, but keep those of us without dehydrators in mind, too! I'm ready to experiment, but a little frustrated with the equipment that doesn't exist on my side of the world. (I know I can use an oven, in theory...I haven't tried yet, because the gas ovens here are super hot, but I need to give it a try, so oven instructions or tips are helpful for me as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea...thanks for the reduced fat version of the marinara recipe. The mushrooms look like veritable taste nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PaganAngel,

    This particular recipe only used the dehydrator for the mushrooms, the other two components only required a blender or food processor. I would suggest you lightly bake the mushrooms instead.

    I have heard of sun powered ovens which are suppose to work, similarly to dehydrators but have no experience with them. You may want to see if they are available for you locally.

    The reason I bought the dehydrator is that I wasn't certain how to replicate the techniques without it. My best guess would be to turn on the oven at the lowest temperature possible and turn it off before adding the food. If you have something that will absorb heat in the oven (like a pizza stone or cast iron) it should help the oven stay warm longer. That is my best guess and I don't know how well it will work since haven't tried it. Sorry I can't be more help on this. I just don't have enough experience with other options to give you many ideas.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails