Monday, September 28, 2009

Healthy Low Fat Chopped Salad



This is a healthier version of the salad I made on Saturday. I wanted to post this version so that you can compare the fat statistics.

Pickled onions that are referred to in the recipe are something I have be doing for a while now since my husband is not a fan of the acrid nature of raw onions but I want him to him them because they are so healthy. As a compromise I thinly slice the red onions and store them in a jar in the refrigerator covered in white wine vinegar. The vinegar takes down the harshness of the onion. They will keep a week in the refrigerator this way. We always have a jar in our refrigerator.

Cooked beans are something else I always have in the refrigerator or freezer. I make a minimum of a pound of beans a week to include in our daily salads or to add to soups or stews. It take a long to make a cup of beans and it does a pound so why not use your time more efficiently and make extra and store them in the frig and/or freezer.

Healthy Low Fat Chopped Salad
Serves 1

Ingredients:

½ cup cooked white beans, no salt added
1 yellow tomato, cut into bite size pieces
1 cucumber, cut into bite size pieces
2 tablespoons pickled red onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup baby spinach, torn if large
1 pinch kosher salt
2 pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon hulled hempseeds

Directions:

Combine everything and toss so the ingredients are evenly dispersed. Serve immediately on a chilled plate.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 242.28
Calories From Fat (11%) - 27.05

Total Fat - 3.13g
Saturated Fat - 0.48g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 363.9mg
Potassium - 1592.16mg
Total Carbohydrates - 43.86g
Fiber - 13.6g
Sugar - 5.22g
Protein - 14.44g

Comments:

I was planning to have this salad before warming the leftover vegetable ragout for lunch. However, this salad was so filling it became my entire lunch. I don’t have room for anything more at this time.

Raw vegetables and fruits are so much more filling than I ever thought possible. If you have two salads a day, as Dr. Fuhrman suggests in “Eat To Live” it really is difficult to consume excess calories. For me the best part is all the nutrition we get from the volume of fresh produce we eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails